Omega 3 for Inflammation Old
Benefits of Omega 3 - Heart | Brain | Cancer | Inflammation
A vital part of our body’s ability to defend and heal itself involves our system of immunity and our ability to generate an inflammatory response. Like all of our biological defenses, our inflammatory response has to be balanced in order to avoid problems that arise from excess inflammation.
Our immune response, once triggered, has to create inflammation to attack the invaders, and at the same time, be able to manage the inflammatory response to prevent a wildfire that burns out of control, injuring normal and otherwise healthy tissue.
Omega-3 and inflammation
We have a built-in mechanism for reducing the body’s excessive inflammatory response – omega-3 Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) and Docosahexanoic Acid (DHA) from fish and fish oils.
The determinants of inflammation in the body are fats. The initial immune and inflammatory responses can be generated effectively only if our diet and our tissues contain a balance of proper fats.
The natural anti-inflammatory chemical fireextinguishers that we require in abundance are omega-3 EPA and DHA from fish and fish oils. With the proper amount of these, the anti-inflammatory response can be generated, creating the series of prostaglandins, leukotrienes and thromboxanes.
These healthy chemicals curtail the inflammation from injury, infection, aging, and help to maintain a balance in the body of a healthful response to injury and illness, without a harmful excessive inflammatory reaction.
Why use See Yourself Well™ EPA and DHA for inflammation?
By incorporating See Yourself Well EPA and DHA into a 4 – 8 week treatment program and lifestyle choice, a patient will improve biomarkers and symptoms associated with inflammation as follows:
- decrease in pain symptoms associated with rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and general joint aches and pains
- decrease in inflammatory biomarkers associated with liver disease
- decrease in cataracts in the elderly by 15%
- decrease risk of pneumonia by 35%
- decrease in breathing problems such as asthma and bronchial constriction, particularly during exercise
Recommended See Yourself Well™ dosages*
In order to capture all of the risk factors indicated above, the patient should consume 3 grams of combined See Yourself Well™ EPA and DHA omega-3 per day as follows:
- 5 of the 1,000mg soft gel, or
- 10 of the 500mg soft gel, or
- 1 teaspoon of the liquid oil
* Dosage recommendations given are intended to cover all risk reductions listed and are based on 600mg or 60% EPA/DHA concentrate per 1 gram of fish oil.
Purity and cleanliness
All See Yourself Well™ products are tested for compliance with the standards set by the Council for Responsible Nutrition and the World Health Organization and receive a 5-Star Rating from the International Fish Oil Standards Program available for viewing at www.ifosprogram.com.
- Berbert et al, J. Of nutr., London State Univ. Brazil, 2005.
- Lopez-Garica et. Al., J. Nutr., 134: 1806-1811, 2004.
- Merchant et al., AJCN., 82- 668-674, 2005.
- Lu et al., Am. J. Epid., 161:948-959, 2005.
- Miljanoiv et al., AJCN. 82:887-893, 2005.
- Mickleborough et al. Am J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 2003.
- Peat et al., J. Allergy Clin Immunology, 114(4):807-813, 2004