Omega 3 for the Heart
Benefits of Omega 3 - Heart | Brain | Cancer | Inflammation
Omega-3 continues to grow in scientific credibility as a key component of heart health. Established and emerging evidence supports its continued use, providing practitioners with a leading edge as well as safe and effective means to enhance their clinical practice for optimum results.
The omega-3 compound is made up of four fatty acids: Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) and Docosahexanoic Acid (DHA) from fish and fish oils, alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) from flax and canola oils, and DPA from whale and seal oils. The clinical evidence overwhelmingly supports the use of EPA and DHA from fish and fish oils for cardiovascular health, with little or no evidence supporting the use of ALA or DPA related products.
The ground-breaking studies published in the best of medical journals on omega-3 and heart health were primarily based on the consumption of EPA and DHA from fish and fish oils – not flax, krill, seal or whale oil.
Why use See Yourself Well™ EPA and DHA for heart health?
By incorporating See Yourself Well™ EPA and DHA into a treatment plan, within 4-6 weeks a patient will improve the biomarkers associated with:
- a reduced risk of developing heart disease by 32%(1)
- a reduced risk of death from heart attack by 70% (2)
- a lowering of blood triglycerides by up to 32% (3)
- assist in the correction of irregular heartbeat (4)
- a reduced risk of stroke by 30% (5)
- a reduced resting heart rate by up to 5 beats per minute
Recommended See Yourself Well™ dosages*
In order to capture all of the risk factors indicated above, the patient should consume 3 grams of combined See Yourself Well™ EPA and DHA omega-3 per day as follows:
- 5 of the 1,000mg soft gel, or 10 of the 500mg soft gel, or 1 teaspoon of the liquid oil
* Dosage recommendations given are intended to cover all risk reductions listed and are based on 600mg or 60% EPA/DHA concentrate of 1 gram of fish oil.
* Both Health Canada and the FDA recognize 3,000mg combined EPA and DHA as an efficacious dosage for blood TG lowering in people with elevated blood TG levels.
In addition, the American Heart Association, through its journal Circulation, recommends 1,000mg combined EPA and DHA for mortality risk reduction in patients with known or suspected heart disease.
1. Simon et al, AJE, 1995, also AHA Statement, 2000.
2. A.M. Gotto, Circ. 97:1027, 1998.
3. Billman, GE, Proc. Natl. Acad, Sci. 1994.
4. LeMaitre et al., AJCN, 77:319, 2003.
5. He et al., Stroke, 35: 1358-1542,2004.
6. Holub BJ., CMAJ, 166:608-615, 2002.
Purity and cleanliness
All See Yourself Well and Life Support products are tested for compliance with the standards set by the Council for Responsible Nutrition and the World Health Organization and receive a 5-Star Rating from the International Fish Oil Standards Program available for viewing at www.ifosprogram.com.